Mortgage and Realtor Resources
Home Insurance Checklist
The insurance industry has hardened. Due to storms, AOBs (Assignment of Benefits), and rising costs of reinsurance, carriers have tightened underwriting guidelines. At least 8 carriers are still closed for new business. Use the below checklist to keep your home in compliance with insurance guidelines.
- Roof Age:
- Less than 15 years for architectural Shingles.
- Less than 10 years for 3-tab.
- less than 20 years for metal.
- The water heater must be less than 15 years old.
- HVAC must be less than 20 years old.
- Galvanized plumbing is limited to only a couple of carriers which are closed in several zip codes.
- PEX plumbing must be 2005 or newer
- Electrical Panels:
- Must have at minimum 150 amps.
- Federal Pacific, ZInzco, StabLock, Challenger, and Sylvania ARE NOT ACCEPTABLE.
- Additionally, hurricane claims for both the buyer AND the seller must be closed.
- The property will have to be underwritten to current guidelines regardless of current policy status.